There are 100's of different types of moisturisers on the market & it can be very confusing when trying to decide which one youneed for yourbeautiful brown skin. As Women of Color, we tend to look younger than many of our fair skinned counterparts, but which of the following concerns affect you most?
1. First signs of aging, looking for preventative measures?
2. Existing fine lines & wrinkles, looking to cure or repair?
3. Loss of firmness in your skin, wrinkles appearing?
4. Oily skin, looking to keep this under control?
5. Skin blemishes?
6. Sun protection (SPF)? To use or what to use?
7. No real concerns yet, just wanting to maintain skin quality by moisturising & keeping your skin hydrated.
First task, identify your current skin condition. Is it very dry? Is it a dry combination? Or, is it combination to oily? To establish the condition of your skin is vital for the correct choice of texture of the moisturiser for your skin. When you have established your primary concern & identified your skin condition, selection of the most suitable moisturiser becomes much easier. I have listed below, various types of moisturisers, which will help you deal with the concerns mentioned above, outlining the benefits of each type of product.
1. When you notice the first signs of aging, some of us earlier than others, due to lifestyles etc, try a moisturiser with a SPF. They will play a major part in your skincare as these particular products will help to protect the skin against UVA & UVB damage & so help to prevent further aging to the skin. The majority of these products for prevention are targeted at 25 - 35 age group because after 25, skin cell regeneration slows down.
2. To cure & repair those existing fine lines & wrinkles, the moisturisers targeting the 35 - 45 age group will often contain retinal or AHA's, which help to defoliate the skin & assist with skin cell renewal. These products will help to boost collagen in the skin & those containing SPF will also help to prevent further damage from the sun.
3. Targeting the 45+ age group, the moisturising products available here will help to repair loss of firmness, particularly around the jaw-line & neck, by plumping up the skin & reducing existing wrinkles. They will boost collagen & elasticity to tighten up the skin & make it firmer.
4. To combat oily skin, the choice is for a moisturiser that is oil free. These products would tend to come as a light lotion or gel formula, so as not to be too heavy on the skin. These products are not age specific & can be used by anyone suffering oily skin, to treat the condition.
5. Using similar product to those mentioned above for oily skin, the oil free moisturiser is advised where blemishes are apparent; to ensure that skin pores will not become clogged. Anti bacterial moisturisers are available to help clear the skin as well as balancing the oil & water content.
6.The endless issue of hydration, would, I hope, see most of us regularly using a moisturiser, but we all prefer different things - some will prefer a cream, some like fluid and some of us are particularly partial to a sorbet or a light gel creme. Some will use the same day product for night-time as well, and many of us insist on our moisturiser having a minimum SPF of 15 - and so we should. But, would we be better applying a normal moisturiser and then a layer of sun cream? It doesn't matter if your moisturiser has a built in SPF in it, if you do not re-apply your SPF moisturiser at least 2 hourly, then our SPF word means ZERO. Applying an SPF on your face doesn't mean you are protected from then on. Unless you're reapplying the SPF on a regular basis, my advice to you is: invest in a tinted moisturiser that has a SPF factor between 15 & 30. This way, you can re-apply more than once & not only will it be protecting your skin but will also freshen you up during the day AND will help keep you well hydrated. 2 brands to consider here: Ultraceuticals Tinted Protective Self Adjusting Tinted Moisturiser SPF 30 is excellent and Dermalogica's Sheer Tint SPF 15 is also reallygood!
7. General moisturisers are readily available to all ages & will help to balance the oil & water in the skin to ensure the skin is protected throughout the day. You will need to choose the most suitable product for your skin condition.
Please be aware that we all need to take care & nurture our beautiful brown skin, even though we do tend to look relatively, ten years younger than white skinned women of our ages. Time waits for no one. Keep it clean, keep it moist. It's the only one we have! I will try to advise you on the best solutions for the care of your beautiful brown skin. Visit me on YouTube & at http://ethnicblackbeauty.com for my makeup & skincare videos, tips & advice. Thank you for taking the time to read my article & I hope you found it of interest. Until next time. Sam.